- May 18, 2012
- 426 views
In surveying, strong negotiation skills are vital so it is important to understand the psychology behind the art of negotiating to achieve the right outcome for your client.
To a degree, conflict is present in all negotiations but it is not a contest that must be won but an opportunity to seek synergy. Frequently negotiations fail not because of misunderstanding the issues but because of an inability to deal with the tactics and emotions of the participants. At all times, an objective and principle-centered approach must be maintained instead of letting emotions dictate decisions. The five cardinal sins of negotiation include:
- Ineffective preparation will put you at a disadvantage.
- Inability to leave emotions behind.
- Giving without getting.
- Lacking trust.
- Focusing on positions not outcomes.
The top tips for succeeding at negotiation are:
- Request something from any concession offered and make a big play of the concession given.
- Never gloat over a concession given to you. Instead, congratulate the other side for their hard bargaining.
- Never accept the first offer.